nbn Migration & What It Means For Building Owners
The nbn™ network is replacing most existing fixed phone and internet networks – this installation will affect the operation of important services such as the Lift Emergency Telephone and Fire Alarm Panels in many of Australia’s buildings. Please read the information below to find out how to keep your lift telephone connected.
How will the nbn affect my Lift Emergency Telephone?
It is a legal requirement to ensure your Lift Emergency Telephone is “safe to operate”. Currently, Lift phones operate using the Telstra “copper” network, which can continue to power your lift phone in the event of a power outage.
Equipment connected over the nbn network will not work during a power blackout. This means that building owners need to install a new ‘Wireless’ solution prior to nbn™ installation at their building.
How long until my Lift Emergency Phone is disconnected?
Disconnection usually takes place within 18 months after ‘ready for service’. It is important to check when nbn will be ‘ready for service’ in your area.
Telstra have agreed to maintain the copper wire service to buildings that have registered their lift emergency phone line numbers with NBN – these will not be disconnected before 30 June 2017.
What Action Is Required?
- It is the responsibility of the Building Owner to take action.
- Register your Lift Emergency Telephone lines with nbn™.
- Check when nbn™ will be ‘ready for service’ in your area.
- Order a Wireless Lift Emergency Telephone Solution.
- It is important to ensure the solution you purchase is compliant with Australian electrical safety requirements. If a device is installed without meeting compliance you or your organisation may incur hefty penalties from the Australian government. More Information on compliance here.
For more information please see the Good Practice Guide for Migration of Monitored Fire Alarm and Lift Phone Services.
Where do I find a Wireless Lift Telephone Solution?
The EM-4GE Wireless Communication Gateway manufactured by Pixel is the seamless solution you’ve been looking for. The EM-4GE provides a simplistic standalone solution to replace existing PSTN phone lines that are being decommissioned in the nbn™ network migration or similar network areas. This unique solution features:
- Fail-safe battery backup
- Compatible with all wireless mobile networks in Australia
- Automatic fault notification options
- Options to suit FTTP, FTTN, FTTB and VoIP gateway connections
- Self testing and reporting in accordance with EN: 81-28
- Compatible with emFONE and all ACMA approved telephones
- Designed to operate LINE Powered Telephones
- Durable, self-contained wall cabinet
- Voice & SMS communication
- Remote management of the system by SMS
- Easy on site installation and maintenance
- 4 hours talk-time in the event of a power outage
The EM-4GE is completely future-proof, meaning the device can be upgraded and continue to operate as mobile networks update their services in the future. Saving you the hassle and cost of replacing your Wireless Communication Gateway.